Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New Material Could Improve Safety for First Responders to Chemical Hazards

          In a recent issue of Advanced Materials a new technology that involves carbon nanostructures and their potential use as microsensors for violent organic compounds. This technology would be made for first responders of all kinds who are aiming to protect themselves from unknown vapors. The greatest dangers posed to these workers comes when the airborne toxins become trapped in the filters of the responder’s gas mask. As of now people who are put in these environments are merely told to know the amount of time they’ve worn the gas mask. This is where the new technology would come in to play. Because of their likeness to the airborne compounds, these new carbon microsensors would be able to notify workers as to the different toxins that are being filtered and how much carbon is trapped within the filter by changing colors.

         Overall I thought it was a very important article and certainly timely with all of the disasters that have happened throughout the world. These disasters including the most recent devastation in the American south and earlier the tragedy that had struck Japan with the tsunami. I also thought it was especially intriguing that the people who helped develop this at UCSD and Tyco Electronics had the idea that carbon nanostructures could be used as an indicator for toxins and excess carbon. Although nothing is really happening in our area that would call for this new technology it would still be useful in case anything were to happen at the Indian Point Nuclear Plant.

          The article itself, in my opinion, was well written and concise. I also thought the writers from ScienceDaily who wrote the article were smart to bring this minor subject to light especially since the world we live in is so unpredictable. I also think that this technology would be more than helpful should Nostradamus, the 16th century soothsayer, be correct in his prediction that the Mayan calendar was correct in saying that the world will end on December 21, 2012. In all seriousness though this new technology could be very helpful in any sort of removal of old infrastructure, especially during the upcoming age where the United States and other world powers are going to have to change the way we develop and use energy.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110501183923.htm

7 comments:

Emily Kimak said...

Henry wrote a really good current event review. His article, “New Material Could Improve Safety for First Responders to Chemical Hazards,” was a very interesting a relative topic to the world. He did a good job explaining what the technology is and what it would be used for. I liked how he predictions because that made his review more interesting a thoughtful. For Henry to improve his review, he should have given a background or explanation on the certain types of chemicals because some people not in chemistry class will have no idea what he is talking about. The most interesting fact I learned from this review was that new carbon microsensors would be able to notify workers as to the different toxins that are being filtered and how much carbon is trapped within the filter by changing colors.

Jack Deasy said...

I think that Henry did a very good job at describing to us how they could be useful to people who respond to these disasters. He also did a good job at telling us how these would work and help out the first responders. Finally, he did a very good job at telling to us how it relates to us.
I think that he could have given us more information on how this technology was developed by these companies. Also, he could have told us how it changes color and what different colors mean.
I was very impressed by the technology that people have developed to help keep us safe and protect us from harmful toxins.

Max said...

Henry’s article was very well-written and sophisticated. Henry also made it very easy to understand because of the simple language he used and his language was concise while Henry got right to the point throughout his review. I enjoyed when Henry connected this to the recent earthquakes in Japan.
I feel that Henry could have given more specific statistics or information, making the review easier to comprehend. Also, I feel that Henry could have talked about how the gas masks work a little bit more.
I found it very interesting that these sensors will notify workers as to the different toxins that are being filtered and how much carbon is trapped within the filter by changing colors.

Austin Engros said...

1. I liked how Henry gave strong examples of how the article relates to what is going on in the world today.
2. I thought he gave a good amount of detail in his review and explained what is seen as the most dangerous thing that can happen to workers on the job.
3. I liked how he kept the article concise and easy to understand.

1. I thought it was very good however could have gone a little further in explaining why we need this technology.
2. I thought he could have given a little more background knowledge on the technology itself and what it does.
1. I did not know that this new technology existed.

Andrew R. said...

A new use for carbon nanostructures has been found: sensors for volatile organic compounds. I liked the explanation for how the nanostructures could be used in gas masks. I also thought it was interesting that these nanostructures could be used for the situation in Japan. I also found it interesting the carbon nanostructures would change color when placed in contact with airborne compounds.

This article could have been improved. I felt that the review was extremely short and could have been lengthier. I also would have liked an explanation of the different kinds of chemicals involved in the reaction.

This article is relevant to us because this technology could be incredibly important in protecting us from toxins if something extremely dangerous were to happen.

Henry said...

I thought I did a wonderful job in reviewing this article. I thought it was a very pertinent topic, especially with everything that has been going on recently in the world concerning natural and man-made disasters. I also thought that I gave a good amount of detail in describing what exactly the new technology would be able to do for those who would use it. The final complement I’ll give myself is that I was fairly straight-forward with everything I had to say and I didn’t really beat around the bush. Now although some people thought this review was a tad bit too short (Andrew), I thought the article was long enough but I didn’t go into enough detail in explicitly explaining the process that the sensors use to alert workers. I guess I also could have picked a topic that was a little bit more interesting. Overall I thought the review was perfect, especially learning about this new technology and how it works.

Lauren Dowe said...

Lauren Dowe Chemistry IIH
Current event review 5/16 5/20/11

1. I like how the article was easy to understand and was clear in its argument.
2. I like how the summary provided details on what are the most dangerous aspects of being a construction worker.
3. I also liked how he related the article to our own lives.

1. I would have liked to see how the safety technology is used and when
2. I also would have liked the review to be a bit more detailed.

1. I was impressed that there is technology that senses toxins in the air, such as gas masks, by changing colors.